Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Personal Work

I thought I would update this with some personal work. During my first year at Sheridan for Illustration, I have discovered a lot of inspiring artists in 3rd and 4th year. It's been a really exciting year for me to experiment with a lot of media and to improve my skills, and I thought it would be really interesting to incorporate a lot of what I found inspiring, into my own personal work. Some of the artists who have inspired me for a couple of these pieces are: Yuta Onoda, Nimit Malavia, and Peter Chan.

These are all work-in progress' at the moment, and the acrylic piece painted on the wooden doll is photographed twice because I wasn't 100% happy with the picture quality of either. I'm really starting to like painting on wood, and purchased some planks recently from Home Depot. Peter Chan recommended I buy the wood there, and it was really cheap. I bought three pieces and plan to work on them this summer. I've been working on some rough sketches for them. I want to finish off these pieces before I begin, however.

I apologize for some poor quality photos. I will have to try and take better quality pictures later.


This piece is inspired by Yuta Onoda and Nimit Malavia's work. It still has quite a ways to go, but I'm excited to start working on it again.


I'm unsure if I'm finished with this piece or not. I was experimenting with media and treating it like the media experimentation life drawing classes I've had, but with my personal work. The painting itself is 24" x 20" and I've used acrylics, gouache, india ink, and gesso so far.




This painting on wood is inspired by Peter Chan's "Red Wolf Hood" painting. I tried to push the intensity of the shadows on the skin. I think I may have went a little bit too intense, but I really like how it's turning out so far. I need to tone down the highlights on the front a bit, I think. The wings wrap around the back of the doll. I will take better quality photos at different angles at a later time.

No comments: