Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mock Advertisement [In-Progress]

Here is my in-progress sketch of the mock advertisement I'm currently working on.  I wanted to dabble a bit in Advertising Illustration.  This mock ad is for the cologne brand Mustang.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Updated Pictures

I posted these pieces previously, but they were too large for the scanner and parts of the pieces were cut off.  The first piece is juicy and the second, Sherbet.  Both are 14" x 14".

There is a lot of glare happening in these pictures, but I wanted to show the actual sizes of the pieces.  For better detail without glare, please look for the pieces in the March 2009 section of my blog.

Thanks for visiting.  I'll update soon with the in-progress sketch for the mock advertisement I'm currently working on.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Second Year Life Drawings Continued

Here is a continuation of the previous post.  These are also life drawings done during second semester of second year.  Some of these are conte on newsprint, but others are experimentation with pastel on kraft paper, and the first drawing was an experiment using a kind of rice paper with pastel and wet media.

A couple of these drawings were drapery studies from life drawing class, and there is even one double model study where we were practicing how to create a focal point.

Second Year Life Drawings

Here are some conte on newsprint life drawings done during second semester of second year.  They range from five minutes to one hour.  The drapery drawing was the one hour pose.

Monday, June 15, 2009


This is another experimental piece on paper.  I rarely paint/draw dogs so I was tempted to give it another try.

Acrylic, ink & marker on paper.  6" x 6"

Saturday, June 13, 2009


I'm experimenting a bit on different types and colours of paper.  It's fun to see how the paint reacts to it and what works and doesn't work.  The trial and error keeps the process exciting and I will continue these experiments in the future.

Acrylic & ink on paper.  6" x 6"

Commission Series

I'm thinking about starting a commission series of my Bliss piece.  Each will be painted delicately on 4" x 6" wood pieces.  The prices would be $40 Canadian each plus shipping.

Serious interest only please, as my time/materials are money.  Please contact me via email at

The colour of the bird/icing can be changed to your liking.

Thank you for your interest.  More work to come soon.

Friday, June 12, 2009

Watercolour Studies

Here are a couple of watercolour studies from second semester painting class.  I think they were both six hour sessions.

The first one (12" x 16") was strictly watercolour, but the second (11.5" x 15.5") was experimenting with watercolour and adding gouche for highlight.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Invisible Cities

This is a narrative project we were given before winter break.  It was a challenging project that was spread over a couple of months.  We were given specific size requirements and to only create four illustrations for the short story we chose.  I chose Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

I decided to represent one half of the city (carnival) with a peacock, and the other (dull city life) with a pigeon.  At the end of the story it's revealed that the pigeons made up the city and once they flew away that half of the city disappeared, and the carnival remained until the pigeons returned.

For this project I used ink on gummed watercolour paper.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009


I have just completed this piece.  It was originally a sketch idea for one of my Interpretive projects.  I scrapped it for another idea, let them eat cake, but I still thought this was really cute and fun, so I wanted to paint it.

It didn't scan as well as I thought it would for some reason.  Sorry about that.

I'm currently working on an advertisement illustration.  I wanted to practice a different avenue.  I'm excited to finish and start painting it.

Acrylic & ink on wood.  4" x 6"

Media Methods Projects

I'm posting a couple of Media Methods & Materials projects from second semester.  It was fun to experiment with different media and mold projects into something that I wanted to do.  

The first was a collage project based on a description of a character from a short story.  The second project was to create something that was an impossible possibility.  I chose to do a dessert scene with figures riding camels in the background, and a steam geyser forming the shape of penguins.

I will update soon with a new piece I have been working on.